I played in a different church this morning. Very different from the church I regularly attend. Nothing produced....things being thrown in at the last minute, about 30 minutes of rehearsal with the band, age on the platform from age 6 (Grace reading a last minute scripture) to my dad age 72. Style of music ranged from hymn with pipe organ to Everlasting God with a electric guitar solo with lots of distortion. And as I looked out at the congregation.....boredom. The question that comes to mind everytime I see this, no matter what church I am in is...."What the heck are we doing this for." Is the only important thing that I am connecting with God? Does it matter if no one else gets it? As a worship leader it is my job to facilitate worship which in my mind means, I set a feast and invite people to participate, if they choose to not engage, then that is their loss. Right? Today the people on the platform had energy, I played the same as I always do, my dad has more energy then the 20 somethings, and yet there is so little connection to the people in the congregation.
If we truly want people to come into our churches and find Jesus, shouldn't they also find passion in the followers of Christ. Shouldn't they find people that are willing to give up everything? Shouldn't they find people that are completely lost without Him? I fear that when they walk into many of our churches they find boredom. How do we inspire our people? My initial thought is that we beg and plead and yell and cheer and let our passion overflow over them. Or does the Holy Spirit do it all and we just need to get out of the way?

1 comments:
It has to be both us and the Holy Spirit. We are human instruments being used by God to allow people to enter into His presence. It starts with each person. I do think that a true response to God takes emotion not just logic, and therefore takes passion.
Post a Comment