Part of my job at Sunset has been to be a part of service planning. In the past a group of us has spent a few hours each week planning what songs we will sing, what elements will be included, and basically all of the details of a Sunday service. We plan 2 seperate services at Sunset. The NINE which is suppose to be a more traditional blended service and The ELEVENTH Hour which is more contemporary in feel. I have been dubbed the nine o'clock girl in service planning because I direct the choir and therefore fit into the more traditional format. However, my heart is definitely at a TEN o'clock service. I love tradition. I love the pipe organ. I love hymns. I love choruses. I love upbeat songs. I love electric guitar solos. I love drums. I love love love choirs. I love gospel music. I love a lot of the 11 o'clock songs. I love contemplative music. I even (sorry Tyler) love country music. I think..... I love it all. I can connect with God through almost any style of music.
So when we plan, someone will often say...."THEY don't like new songs" or "THEY don't like hymns" or "THEY don't like electric guitar or loud or soft or choirs or worship teams." Whatever it is there seems to be a THEY attached to it. My question many times has been, "Who are THEY?" Because THEY is not me and THEY is not many people that I interact with. Now if you are reading this and you are a THEY, then be encouraged that we mention you by name many times in service planning and we try to plan services that will speak to you and that will not offend you. We try to plan with you..."THEY" in mind.
My heart gets frustrated because I look at creation and I see the incredible variety th
at God has created and I wonder why we must limit our worship. Has anyone seen Planet Earth DVD with the bird that looks like a smiley face? What if He only created crows just because that's what the scarecrows like. Anyway, God understood that we are all different, He created us different and then created creation with so much diversity that our minds can't even grasp it. And yet in worship we feel like we have to put people in a box based on style. If we could open our hearts to the variety which is part of who God is, perhaps we could understand better how complex and creative He is. He is not just choirs and hymns although He is magnified through their greatness. He is also electric guitars and drums demonstrating the rhythm of His creation. He is total praise and He is the most contemplative of moments. He is the creator and music is one place that we get to be a part of creation. Everytime we play or sing.... it can be new. We should be able to meet Him on every level, in any style. We should not have top plan for "THEY" but only for HIM!
at God has created and I wonder why we must limit our worship. Has anyone seen Planet Earth DVD with the bird that looks like a smiley face? What if He only created crows just because that's what the scarecrows like. Anyway, God understood that we are all different, He created us different and then created creation with so much diversity that our minds can't even grasp it. And yet in worship we feel like we have to put people in a box based on style. If we could open our hearts to the variety which is part of who God is, perhaps we could understand better how complex and creative He is. He is not just choirs and hymns although He is magnified through their greatness. He is also electric guitars and drums demonstrating the rhythm of His creation. He is total praise and He is the most contemplative of moments. He is the creator and music is one place that we get to be a part of creation. Everytime we play or sing.... it can be new. We should be able to meet Him on every level, in any style. We should not have top plan for "THEY" but only for HIM!
1 comments:
I wrote a nice juicy response, but have decided to simply say that was a great, great post. :P
Post a Comment