CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, August 21, 2008

I'M PASSIONATE ABOUT THIS

pas·sion [ pásh'n ]
Definition: intense emotion: intense or overpowering emotion such as love, joy, hatred, or anger Try and play it with a little more passion.
intense enthusiasm: a strong liking or enthusiasm for a subject or activitya passion for music


I believe anything worth doing is worth being passionate about. If you are not passionate than why invest your time or energy into it. Life is too short to live in the mundane. I like the definition above because it uses the word intense. Passion by its very nature brings intensity. Intensity however scares people sometimes. Perhaps makes them uneasy about their own beliefs. Especially if it is about a subject that they don't feel the same passion. My sister, for example, is very passionate about politics. She knows a ton of stuff and when engaged on a particular issue you can just feel the energy and intensity pouring out of her. I, on the other hand, usually say, "Tell me who to vote for, Amy." I would imagine she might have moments of thinking... "How can you not care about this?"

I am invested in my job because I am passionate about people and how music can affect them. I am passionate about my beliefs. Passion does not mean close minded. It doesn't mean that I am right about everything I am passionate about. It just means that my heart beats for it. I want it to matter and make a difference. I want it to change peoples lives. I want people to be connected to God on such a deep level that it changes them. I want them to know that God loves them no matter what. I want them to be moved, inspired, and motivated. If it doesn't change anything...I don't want to do it.

Passion is what keeps me going when I feel discouraged. It is the thing that says it is worth any pain that comes with expressing it. It is the thing that God has instilled in me that makes me who I am. Living in passion is a more vulnerable place to live but I would much rather live there than any place else.

What are you passionate about right now?

10 comments:

Melinda said...

Your passion has been fruitful!

Jilly said...

Your passion is infectious and inspiring. Your passion IS making a difference in people's lives. Your passion is creating a singular, beautiful voice from many, glorifying our Lord.

Anonymous said...

You are one of the most inspiring, beautiful people I know. You just show your passion for life everytime I see you. That is one thing I like about you. It's infectious to be around you.

I know what you mean about being passionate in life. Why do things half way instead of doing them to there fullest? Why would God want us to praise him with part of our heart and not our whole heart?

Just a few thoughts on this beautiful Friday morning. Carolyn

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to figure out what I'm passionate about. In the past I've been burned when I've felt too "strongly" about something - scolded for voicing my passion... if it's not in line with the prevailing opinion.

So, I'm learning when and how to express my feelings in the most effective way. And still trying to find what really drives me.

Janet Fraser said...

I'm challenged by your question. Maybe it's Saturday morning blahs or summer hang over, but i'm feeling more challenged by what's ahead of me in my real life and ministry than a fire burning in me.

But, reading your post and description of your passion for ministry is part of what makes you a great teammate and leader in our ministry. Thanks for inspiring with your words.
J

Anonymous said...

Hi Jill! It is fun to see your blog. I enjoy reading your thoughts. My passions are split between many things now...my family, AllyZabba, church. It is all good things, but can be overwhelming at times. Thanks for writing.

Jill

Anonymous said...

Hey girlfriend...happy blogging to you!!
I'm passionate about retirement and i've been at it for exactly 6 days. August 15 was my last day. IT was a passionate day of doing "last things". I found myself saying, "well that was my last patient, last chart, last phone message, last e-mail,etc.,etc. Then when I picked up my purse threw it over my shoulder looked around my office, I said a silent "Thanks Lord for the great journey"!
I walked out into the hallway to find all my staff standing in a circle. I asked"what are you guys doing?" They said, "Get in the middle here, we are going to pray for you." Well I had passionate tears. Hey... if you are going to cry, it should look like you are having a great release. THeir prayers were so sensitive to my feelings of investing 20 years and having to release my baby into the hands of another person. But the Lord and I had this conversation back in Feb so I was OK with it but the reality of the day was hard.
So I laid down my stethoscope and said, "Here Lord, it was always yours, so now take it and make it whatever you see fit to put back in my hand for you in this next chapter.
So to help with the transition, we're going to Hawaii for 2 weeks....oh yeah!!
Sorry to leave a letter on your blog but passion means lots of words...right??
SHASHA

momof3under12 said...

Hi Jill! I've become more and more passionate about children's ministry! Our small little church could do alot more for children than what is currently being done and so I've been on a mission speaking with other parents to get them to believe that their kids deserve more. Things are moving forward and we'll see where the Lord allows this to go. But I believe that under the surface is a fire that will soon make an appearance. :)
Thanks for sharing!
amy

Anonymous said...

To me, revealing my passion means being personal and vulnerable of who I am. So many times I'm being 'passionate' only to find that people don't care as much or maybe care about it very temporarily at best.

Why is that? I don't know. Maybe my 'passion' makes me too intense of a person, and most people only like 'kind and nice, no complaining' kinda person...

Anonymous said...

Must be my cologne. Everybody suddenly stop commenting.

Either that or my foot just made it into my mouth again.