CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, January 26, 2009

I FEEL LOST Part 2


I think I reached an all time low on Friday. I was trying to get to Henri's downtown. I hate downtown so much. I had directions but there was some construction going on so I very quickly doubted the directions. I thought I missed my turn so I tried to turn around which took me the completely wrong direction as in I was at the river. Long story short, I finally saw Henri's and then thought well I just go up here go around the block and park. Nope... one street after another....no turns...no turns....no left turns.... Who decided you can't turn anywhere downtown. Then before me I see a bridge. I don't know much but I know I don't want to go over the bridge, so finally a right turn available into a weird street with a railroad track, a bus lane, and a tiny lane to the left. I have no idea where i'm suppose to be driving. At this point, I just pulled over and wanted to go home. But realized i would never make it.

So, when I finally made it to Henri's, 30 minutes later, I got in the parking garage elevator. Stared at the buttons and thought...how do i know where the street is. P1, P2, 1, 2, B. Basically I went up and down the elevator 3 times called Jos, told her I was lost in the elevator. She very calmly said... is there a number with a star beside it. I pushed the star.... and made it to the street.

You're right.....it's very sad..... I need help. I did learn some things though. Did you know..I'm sure you did, that the streets are in alphabetical order? Burnside, Couch (evidently pronounced Cooch)...etc. So when I was on Washington but wanted to be on Burnside I now know for sure that I was really in the wrong place...... Anyone want to try out for the Amazing Race?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Research has suggested that, for people’s navigational systems to work well, they have to integrate two different directional or “heading” systems:

Egocentric, or personal, direction. Where they are in relation to external objects such as a door or a building.

Allocentric, or external, direction. Where they are in relation to fixed environmental points such as north, south, east or west. This system is most closely linked to what’s generally referred to as “sense of direction.”

New research is being conducted to determine why some people's systems work better than others. Sometimes personal stress or busy minds inerfere with our ability to focus on where we are and which way we are heading. Good luck!

Jenni Clayville said...

seriously... i would TOTALLY do amazing race with you. the fun part would be getting lost!

Anonymous said...

um...I hate downtown, for the same reasons. you and I should NEVER do amazing race together.
Jay

Anonymous said...

Can I just add, that she called me and was downtown 30 minutes AHEAD of me and I was feeling really bad that she'd have to hang out by herself until I got there.

So, I go rushing around the restaurant looking for her - because, well, it's been about 35 minutes now... don't see her anywhere - call her, and learn she's stuck in the elevator :( I've never seen anything like it... she was a little rattled but we quickly calmed her down.

If Amy isn't able to get the new GPS for her, we might have to take a collection. :)

And, I realize I'm being kinda flippant about this, and that it really isn't a laughing matter for her.. but that's how I roll. And I *think* she can handle my gentle humor.

I love you my LLLDS (I'll give you a minute to figure out what that means...)

Anonymous said...

Oh, and to answer your question:

YES! We could TOTALLY do Amazing Race.

We'd either get kicked off in the first round or win the whole thing.

Either way, how awesome would that be??

Anonymous said...

WAIT - This is important!

ONLY the streets on the NORTH side of Burnside are in alphabetical order... Once you cross over Burnside and are on the SOUTH side, they aren't.

I don't want you to be on SW Alder and freak out when the next street is SW Washington.

Sorry :( Just when you thought you were getting the hang of things...

Melinda said...

I could have written that post!

I did not know that there are others as challenged as I am with downtown...until Michael. Our middle son seems to have inherited it from me. I feel so badly for having crippled him so.

Can you believe that I actually went to college downtown? It is amazing that I ever made it anywhere that I was expected to be.

Anonymous said...

Jill ... I feel better now. I can't tell you how many times I've ended up on a bridge headed to the wrong side of the river. And I DO HAVE A NAVIGATION SYSTEM in my car. "Her" voice is authoritative enough, but sometimes I don't want to listen to "her" and I think I know this town better than "her". Sadly, after 30 years in Oregon, I don't.

Anonymous said...

Certain bars, pubs are just not strategically located, so it'll make you feel very very frustrated by the time you get there and causing you to order more drinks. It's how they make their money.

It's a conspiracy.

This is why when I meet my friends at a bar, I always call ahead and tell them to order me a pint...it'll be waiting for me by the time I get there.

Unknown said...

Yeah, yeah, I know this was a long time ago...but I might have something helpful? Maybe?

My darling tells me, and herself, and her kids, (and strangers, for that matter) that the important question is "Can ya fix it?", as in:

"Oh, dear! I'm on the 205 headed for Clackamas, not Downtown..."
...
"Can I fix it? Well...duh! Yeah."
(End freakout mode)

I don't believe that we're here on this earth to get it right, when there's SO MUCH MORE to be learned from getting it wrong.